It is painful to watch a loved one struggle. Every year, almost 20 million Americans and their families battle drug addiction. Fortunately, there are many treatment centers in the United States that help people recover. Getting back to sobriety is important, which is why choosing the best treatment center or rehab is crucial.
Finding the right rehabilitation center is one of the first hurdles to overcome in the path to recovery. Good treatment centers foster an atmosphere of love, compassion, and care. Your loved one is much more likely to recover successfully and maintains their sobriety once they return from a quality rehab facility.
But how do you find a good treatment center? Consider these methods to find the best drug recovery facility.
Decide What Your Rehab Goals and Needs Are
Every rehab has different specialties. Even those rehabs with the same specialty will measure success differently and take different paths to get there. The first step in determining your rehab goals is deciding which substances and behaviors you want to recover from.
The next step is determining whether there are any other underlying issues, such as a dual diagnosis (the combination of a substance addiction with a mental disorder) or medical conditions, that you wish to have treated at the same time. Then you have to figure out what success means to you.
Is your initial goal to get through detox and remain sober for the first 30 days? Would six months of continuous treatment be a success? A year? Only you and your loved ones can decide on what your goals are.
Identify if Inpatient Drug Treatment Is Required or Not
To help a loved one struggling with addiction, many individuals rush to enroll them in the first drug rehab facility they discover. However, finding out what level of care is necessary is crucial for the right treatment. Inpatient rehab, 12-step programs (such as Narcotics Anonymous), outpatient treatment, and group addiction counseling can all be beneficial drug treatment programs.
A full-scale drug rehab residence provides a highly intensive treatment aimed at treating varying degrees of drug dependency. Sending someone with mild symptoms of addiction to such a drug rehab may not be the best course of action. Begin your search for such a rehab only if a professional recommends inpatient therapy after an evaluation.
Call Drug Rehab Centers That Offer Therapies Which Suit Your Needs
Many people start their search for drug treatment programs by looking at the most reputable centers in the country. While it is understandable – and admirable – to seek top treatment institutes in the country, it is not always ideal for the patient.
Ask questions like, “How long will my loved one be in drug treatment? Do you offer both individual and group therapy? What kind of sober living options does your drug rehab offer? Do you have an alumni program, and what is it like?” Go with the rehab center that provides the therapies you think your loved one needs the most.
Check Detox Programs the Drug Rehab Centers Offer
While today’s drug rehab clinics offer a wide range of services, tactics, and techniques, their main strength is in one area: detox.
While treatment methods vary, here are the key types of detox:
- The first one is pharmacotherapy or medication-assisted detox (sometimes called “opioid replacement therapy”). This is advised for more severe situations.
- Many centers provide social support for withdrawal—the most common strategy for less severe dependence. A treatment center uses certified therapists, group counseling, and holistic and interpersonal/intersocial coping mechanisms to get through the withdrawal stage.
- In recent years, abstinence-based treatments have become less common, as treatment centers favor a more controlled and gradual approach. Many drug treatment institutions still advocate abstinence-only therapy, and many people benefit from it.
It is crucial to discuss each treatment center’s detox process with your psychiatrist or doctor. Together, you can decide which technique is best for your loved one, but the rehab you choose must offer the detox service you need.
Does the Drug Rehab Center Offer Aftercare Services?
A treatment clinic may employ or recommend a variety of aftercare strategies.
- Sober-living: Sober-living homes, sometimes known as halfway houses, provide a regulated, drug-free environment for people transitioning from rehab to everyday life.
- Group counseling: Peer support groups are an essential part of the support network. Step programs like narcotics anonymous, combined with structured group counseling (maybe with the same people your loved one went through rehab with), can give lifelong relapse prevention assistance.
- Drug testing: Many addiction treatment programs demand regular drug testing to assess recovery, relieving you of a tremendous burden.
- Outpatient follow-ups: While you and your addiction professional will be the mainstay of aftercare for your loved one, a rehab clinic may add its own. The treatment center will add context and knowledge to your loved one’s circumstances that you or your professional contact may not have.
Choose a rehab center that offers the above-mentioned aftercare services. Remember that rehab is just the first step in the journey of sobriety and aftercare is as vital as rehab.
It is important that you choose a treatment facility that helps you reach your rehab goals. DetoxNearMe.com has resources available online for you or your loved one. We can also help you find a treatment center that can answer any questions you have about your own or a loved one’s therapy.